Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Legacy of Mary Kay Letourneau Lives On

Ok, maybe it's an extreme title, but I didn't know what else to call it. I teach first grade, and at that age they're still very naive and loving. One of my boy students came up to me today, closed his eyes, puckered up, and tried to give me a kiss. I tried dodging it by turning my head and giving him a cheek. He said, "Wait." He tried again, and I leaned back and gave him the other cheek. He said, "But Miss Picardal, I want to give you a kiss on the lips." Bless his heart, right? I said, "You know, I can't give you a kiss because it's not appropriate for teachers to give their students kisses. However, I can give one heck of a hug!"

Boy, did that devastate him! Not only that, but it sure did open a huge can of worms! This child is autistic and he is very rules-oriented. He wants to know why rules are the way they are, and if he does not agree with the rule, he will melt down and let you know how awful that rule is. So, he replied to my comment with "Why?" I answered him with, "Because kissing is something that you do at home and not at school, especially with teachers because the teachers and the students will get in big trouble. I wouldn't be a teacher anymore." He, again, followed up with another "Why?" This discussion went on and on, and he continued to ask "Why?" I finally just answered, "Because it's the law."

He walked away in tears and didn't even want to give me a hug.

1 comment:

Bee said...

You're breakin hearts at any age, lol.