Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Let's make a deal.

So, the summer is over. Yes, it was great. I had family time, friends time, me time. I couldn't ask for more. I was so not looking forward to work again, mainly because I had to change classrooms (which any teacher knows is a complete pain in the you know what) and I switched teams too. To me, they were both changes that I really didn't want to happen, but I did it for the good of the school. (Yay me, right?)

We've finished 2 weeks of school. First week was the honeymoon phase--the children were just getting to know each other and me, so there was a lot of hesitation to be "their true selves." Now that we're starting to catch onto the routine and getting more comfortable in our surroundings, the personalities are starting to come out. This means, I'm starting to see the good, the bad, and the ugly. (No, it's really not that bad, but you know what I mean.)

There's this one girl in particular, who is just in her own little world and very social. My mom would tell me that I was this student when I was younger. You can tell she's always thinking of something else other than what she should be focusing on because she will, in the middle of a lesson, get up out of her seat and go to her backpack, or at any given moment bust out in song, or walk over to her friend and ask her a question, ask a question completely irrelevant to the topic, etc. Well, just the other day, I had to "redirect" her about 7 times in 10 minutes, which is truly not an exaggeration. So, during recess, we sat and talked about the importance of listening and how it effects her learning and the learning of the rest of the class, yada yada yada. Here is her response:

"Ok, Miss Picardal. I'll be good every other day."

As if it was negotiable. I would go on with what I said, but I thought that would be a good ending.

1 comment:

Mariel said...

Hahaha! Smart girl that little one. How do you like being back in the classroom? Are your students cute? Well, obviously, you've got some brehavioral management to keep you busy and hopefully make the year go by FAST!