Saturday, March 31, 2012

Smooth-ie Operator

I've been on a smoothie kick lately.  Back in February, we had a Valentine's Day celebration at school.  Instead of celebrating with cupcakes and cookies, we asked that families bring healthy food and we called it Heart Healthy Day.  One of the things that parents volunteered to to was to make smoothies for the kids.  Three moms came in with blenders and frozen fruit, fresh fruit, and some veggies, and they each made different smoothies, but all of them were so tasty and good for you.  It got me thinking, "Dude, why don't I make smoothies at home?!"

So, I've been blending away ever since.  My fave is to mix some tropical fruit with berries and spinach.  Then as I started to train for the half, I stumbled upon this book on my Kindle called Smoothies for Runners.  I decided to buy it, since it was only $3.  It gives great recipes for pre and post run smoothies.  The author also gives good insight into why the certain smoothie ingredients are good for the before and after of working out.  He gives the breakdown on each fruit, veggie, powder, and seed he mentions.  Here are my key take-aways:
  1. In the blender, you should put ingredients in a certain order to get the smoothest consistency.  Liquid on the bottom, fruit in the middle, ice on top.
  2. Fruits and chia seeds pre-run.
  3. Protein smoothies post-run.
But really, how can you go wrong with putting a lot of delicious fruits and veggies together?  Whether or not you're training or working out, it's a yummy and healthy way to get good nutrients into your body.


No comments: