Sunday, September 26, 2010

Stressed Out

This is what I have on my plate:
  • 2 days after G-Pa's funeral, I headed back to work.
  • New grade, new team.
  • At school from 7am to 7pm at least 3 days a week.
  • At least 3 meetings a week--before school, during lunch, or after school.
  • 27 sassy students in my class.
  • Going to school one Saturday a month to study for my Professional Certificate (Pro Cert) in order to keep my job.
  • Working on my Pro Cert a couple of hours a week.
  • Regularly taking work home, even after I said I refused to do so.
  • I haven't been trained in 4th or 5th grade science yet, and I need to find time to do that after school on top of everything else.
Work has been consuming my life. I knew this would be a challenge, but I didn't think it would be a life-changer. So far my weekend has consisted of calling parents on a Friday afternoon to tell them about their childs' behavior in class, babysitting until 11pm, only to wake up the next morning to go to Saturday Pro Cert class from 9am to 4pm, taking a nap, grading papers, waking up on Sunday morning and writing papers for Pro Cert and planning lessons for Monday so that I'm not crunched for time in the morning because I have a meeting. I can't seem to find a balance like I did when I was teaching kindergarten and 1st grade. I want time to be with family without having to SQUEEZE it in. I want time to myself without having to SQUEEZE it in. I want a break. Something's gotta give.

What did I get myself into?

No comments: