Sunday, September 19, 2010

Staying Connected

I haven't been to the Philippines in 4 years--a record for me. I've gone at least once a year from 1993-2006. Every so often Ardon will ask about the Philippines, and we'll talk about it for a little bit. Today he asked me about the indigenous people of the Philippines. I told him about the Igorot people and that they live in the mountains. He asked to see pictures, so I did a little research online and showed him some pictures. I stumbled upon a couple of cool things. I found a photo blog of the Philippines that captures the small parts of the everyday lives of Filipinos. I think it's a fun way to keep up with the Philippines (without having to watch TFC). I also learned interesting factoids about Igorots.

Made out of pine wood, nails, bearings, and hinges, this scooters is powered by gravity and inertia and can travel up to 80 km/hour on a downhill ride. I want one! Unfortunately, they're not available online.

Batek (tribal tattoos) are a symbol of beauty for women and a symbol of strength for men. Some women would walk away from the tattoo process because the pain is excruciating and the swelling would take 2 weeks to heal. Those who chose to not decorate their bodies were considered weak and a bad omen for the community. Over the years, Batek has become a lost art.

No comments: