Saturday, September 11, 2010

In a Year and Four Months. . .

I know it's been quite some time since my last post--a year and 4 months to be exact. Lots has happened since that post. I'll do my best to cover all the highlights in chronological order, and I'll do my even better to keep up with this blog more often.
  • Tin and Michael got pregnant and had a boy named Xavier who is now 7 months old. He's such a chill baby and so easy for anyone to babysit because he NEVER cries! Click here if you want to meet him!
  • Mar and Vince got pregnant and had a boy named Roman who is now 3 months old. He's my little peanut. He is Mar and Vince's chill one so far. Isaac is almost 4 now and Mia is 2. Click here if you want to catch up with their growing family.
  • Mom was diagnosed with Parkinson's and we're all doing the best we can to help her keep her spirits high and keep her moving and healthy. Being around the grandchildren is a great remedy.
  • The cousins brought camping back in the summer of 09 after almost a 10 year hiatus. We set up camp at Twin Harbors along the Pacific coast right here in WA. So much fun!
  • Mom, Dad, Mar, Tin, all the children, significant others, Ardon, and I all took a trip to Seaside, OR. It was fabulous. We hadn't taken a road trip, just us, in a long time. Nor had we been to Seaside in a while. It was a great little getaway. Ardon and I got a little glimpse of some of the woes of parenting--waking up in the middle of the night to hungry babies, and rising super early to the pitter-patter of little feet.
  • Teaching has been a whirlwind. During the 2009-2010 school year, I switched back to teaming with Donna and Mason. I taught straight first grade, and my students were my golden group. Best group I've ever had.
  • My college friends and I started a monthly Happy Hour. There are 4 of us that meet up every month, and each of us takes turns in picking a place to meet each month. All the places we've been to so far have been pretty awesome. Seattle is filled with great food.
  • At the end of '09-'10 school year, the principal emailed the staff and asked if anyone was interested in teaching 4th and 5th grade multi-aged. I replied and expressed interest. I didn't hear anything back. A month later, went to a staff meeting and saw my name on the 4th/5th grade roster. It was official.
  • Ardon and I traveled to Palm Springs for Cousin Cathy's wedding weekend. He met the Gacad side for the first time and we had so much fun.
  • The summer of 2010 was full of life-changing events--all so bittersweet.
  • In June, I packed up my first grade classroom for the last time.
  • In July, I took my last road trip with Mario before he moved to Guam. We packed up, hopped in the car, and grabbed G. We went down to Cali. San Jose first to hang out with Al. Then over to Yuba City to visit Mario's family and pick up Cousin Bobby. Then to Vegas where it was 114 degrees. Then up to San Francisco, and then home to Seattle with Bobby in tow.
  • Also in July, Tan left home to begin his adventures serving the country as a private in the US Army. The brother I never had is all grown up now.
  • In August, Mario moved to Guam. We've been great friends since first grade and have always been within 10 minutes of each other, from first grade and into adulthood. It's quite the change for both of us.
  • In August, my parents sold the Oakbrook house. The house that I was born into. The house I grew up in. The house that EVERYONE knew. The house that was synonymous with Picardal. The house full of so many memories. They bought a one-level house in Bothell, which is really exciting for my parents and the rest of us. They will be close to their grandchildren and Mom can be more independent in navigating her way around the house.
  • In August, Grandpa Perfecto had a massive stroke and passed away almost 2 weeks later. It was such a shock, and we were all devastated, but we all felt a little more at peace knowing that he's with Grandma Nory again.
  • Now, I'm in my first year of teaching 4th/5th grade, and I feel like it's my first year of teaching all over again. So far, so good. Then again, it has only been 3 days.
There you have it. Stay tuned for more.

No comments: