Sunday, December 14, 2008

Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other is GOLD!

Our new Golden Chinese Algae Eater. The children named him Junior.

While Sharmin will forever be remembered as the OGAE (Original Gangster Algae Eater) of the tank, we must welcome our new addition to the crew. After a devastating loss, and a thick accumulation of algae, another family from our classroom gave us a wonderful new friend to help keep the tank nice and clean.

Each day after the loss of Sharmin, the tank got a little greener. After about a week, one of my students's moms approached me one morning and said, "I think I'm gonna go to PetCo down the street and get us something to clean up all that algae." I thought that was a swell idea. That afternoon, when she came to pick up her child, she had a new algae eater in tow. Looking at in the plastic baggie, it looked TINY compared to the hefty Sharmin, so I wasn't even sure if it was even an algae eater. Furthermore, I wasn't sure if it was going to survive in a tank with Sparkles, who can be quite aggressive at times.

I gathered the children together to introduce them to the new alleged algae eater. I warned them about what could happen, and to not be surprised if we find him floating or if we don't see any remains at all when we come in the next morning. We also needed to decide on a name for the new fish. After gathering all their ideas and voting on one name, we ended up with the name JUNIOR, as suggested by my student Lance. Junior actually kind of looks like Sparkles' mini-me, so I think the name suits him well.

It's been a little over a week, and he's still alive and really sucking down that algae! Our tank is getting clearer and clearer by the day, which is quite impressive considering how small he is! He and Sparkles are getting acquainted beautifully. The children love to watch them chase each other around in the tank, or they love to look for Junior because he's so small.

I'm glad that the children and Sparkles are enjoying Junior. All is well in the world again.

No comments: