Saturday, January 21, 2012

Antique Bathroom Update

As the city thaws out, the cabin fever is slowly going away.  But all the home ideas that have been spinning through my head all snowy week long still linger.  My bathroom in particular has been haunting me since I've moved into my condo 3, almost 4, years ago.  After spending so much time snowed in and looking for inspiration, I finally found my bathroom style.  Well, after spending so much time researching home decor, I realized how much little accessories can add up.  Even little prints and picture frames can get so expensive.  So in order to get my bathroom decor fix, I had to get off the computer and actually start digging.  I hit up the antique store across the street on Westlake and Republican and just started looking around for whatever art they had.  I knew that whatever I found would be authentic and unique.  It took two trips.  I went yesterday by myself, found some good stuff and slept on it.  I went again today with Tin and G to get a second and third opinion, because I didn't want my bathroom to continue haunting me.  After playing around with a couple of pieces, I cashed out.  Lucky me, all the pieces I purchased were 50% off, so not only were they beautiful, authentic, and unique, they were super inexpensive!  I'm always down for a good deal, but this was really a steal.  Now the bathroom that has haunted me has turned into my little urban oasis.

Before:  "Let there be Peace."  Blah.  Yeah, great message, but I have no idea why I bought this.  Well, actually it was $9, so I thought I'd go for it. When I put it in my bathroom, it wasn't what I expected it to be, but I kept it anyway.  It was better than having an empty wall.

During:  I used my paper grocery bags to outline the frames so I could manipulate them on the wall.  Heavens knows how many holes I would have made in that poor wall had I not done this.  You should see my other walls.  Yikes.

After:  Voila!  So glad to have an antique shop across the street, where I bought the 4 larger frames.  I wanted to play off the blue wall color.  After putting the 4 frames together,  I felt like I needed a 5th one. I just so happened to have an extra black frame and a picture I had taken in Hawaii, with the clear blue water.  That became my 5th frame, which seems to go pretty well with the other four.  Best of all, it was free! 


Here's what it looks like as a whole bathroom.  Quite honestly, sometimes I feel like I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to style.  I just know what I like, and sometimes it takes a while for an idea to transfer and come to life.  This wasn't exactly my vision, but I'm really pleased with the way it all turned out.  I'm especially excited that I was able to find these particular pieces, and that I didn't have to spend big at a big box store.  I like that each piece has unique charm and character, and they all look like there's a real story behind them.  And it was all very budget friendly.  Big impact for little cost.  What's better than that?  There's still quite a bit of wall left, so I may just add on if anything else catches my eye.

No comments: