Tuesday, November 6, 2012

If I were president of our country I would. . .

During writing class today, I told the kids that anybody in ourclass could become president when they're old enough.  "Even girls?!"  was the response.  I gave them an emphatic "YES!" They couldn't believe it.  Then I explained to them that before Barack Obama, we all thought that a Black president would never happen in this country.   It makes me smile to know that for them, a Black president is the norm.  With that, they envisioned themselves as president of the country, and went off to write with this prompt:  "If I were president of our country I would. . ."  Here are some of their replies.  If these are our future leaders, we may just be in very good hands.
  • give more money to the schools for good teachers and after school programs.
  • make healthy food cheaper so people can eat healthier and be healthy.
  • give food and homes to the homeless.
  • make a rule that only the army can have guns.
  • let everybody get married.
  • make sure that we don't have war.
  • help businesses make money.
Then there were the funny ones like:
  • make people only eat fruit instead of candy because fruits are sweet too.
  • go to tent city and build an apartment for all of them.
Oh, second grade. . .

No comments: