Saturday, September 17, 2011

Miss Picardal's Readers' Workshop

I just read my old post from this time last year, and I gotta say, I was one stressed out little lady. I felt like I had all these things going on in my life and in my head, that I didn't know which way was up. Now that the dust has settled, and I had a whole summer to recover from quite a shaky year, I think I'm starting to find my mojo again.

As part of my reading program this year, I wanted to kick it up a notch. We started out the year setting goals for ourselves as readers. I did the lesson last year, but found that it wasn't so powerful. So in order for their reading targets to hold more meaning, the children did not just write it down on a sticky note, only for it to un-stick and fall to the floor and be swept away by the janitor; the children turned it into a project. Now all their targets are posted on the wall, and will help remind them throughout the year where they are headed as readers. Not only are their targets helping to steer them in the right direction, but it makes for pretty cool wall art!





No comments: